How to delete corrupt OST file quickly?
Have you come across a situation where you need to delete corrupt OST file, as it cannot be either repaired or converted to PST because of severe damage. This tutorial shows you the easiest process to delete the corrupt OST file. To do this, perform the below steps in the given order:
- Exit Outlook and other MS Office applications.
- Click the Microsoft Office button and start Run option. If you do not see Run option upon clicking the Microsoft Office button then go to All Programs > Accessories to find Run. When you select the Run option, the ‘Run’ dialog box appears.
- Type this command in the text field %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\ and either hit the ENTER key on keyboard or click the OK button. The Windows Explorer window will appear listing ost files.
- Select the OST file that you want to delete.
- Click the Delete button on the keyboard.
- Go to Recycle Bin and empty it.
This is how to delete corrupt OST file.
Now, the OST file has been deleted, do you want to create a new OST file so that you can start using it to keep using MS Outlook in offline mode as and when required.
Creating New OST file
Perform the below steps to create a new OST file in an easiest way:
Note: We are assuming that there was only one OST file in your PC, which you have already deleted. If not then rename the all available OST files or move them to another location. After that, execute the below steps.
- Start MS Outlook in online mode.
- As the OST file does not exist anymore, Outlook displays an error message saying "The file "C:\Exchange directory\file name.ost could not be found."
- Click the OK button to close the dialog box displaying this error message. You will see the Offline Folder File Settings dialog box appears.
- Click the OK button.
- Now, go to Tools > Synchronize All Folders.
- A new OST file will be created automatically.
This is how to create a new OST file. Now you can use Outlook in offline mode.