How to compact OST File?
Increase in the size of OST file may cause problems in the smooth functioning of MS Outlook. It may also result in the corruption of OST file. So, it is better to compact OST file in a timely manner rather than facing other issues. When you compact the OST file then extra space gets freed making room for newer emails, contacts, etc. In this tutorial, we will demonstrate the process of compacting OST file in easy steps.
Note: before we start the demonstration, please note that the minimum file size of OST should be 16 KB to start the OST compact process. If the size of OST file is less than 16 KB then it cannot be compressed.
Compact OST File
Even though MS Outlook automatically compacts the OST file on small intervals, there can be a requirement for manually compact the OST file. Perform the following steps to manually compact the OST file:
- Launch MS Outlook.
- Select Tools > Account Settings. You will the Account Settings dialog box.
- On the Accounts Settings dialog box, click the Change button. You will see the Change E-mail Account dialog box.
- Click the More Settings button on the Chang E-mail Account dialog box. You will see the Microsoft Exchange dialog box appears:
- Now, select the Advanced tab on the Microsoft Exchange dialog box. Appearance of the Microsoft Exchange dialog box will change.
- Click the Offline Folder File Settings button. You will see the Offline Folder File Settings dialog box.
- Now, click the Compact Now button. Upon clicking the Company Now button, Outlook starts compacting the OST file. This process may take some time depending upon the space available to be freed. So, keep patience and let the Outlook does it work.
- Once the compact process is finished, the Compact Now dialog box will be closed automatically.
- You will still see the Offline Folder File Settings dialog box. Click the OK button on this dialog box.
- Now, click the OK button on the Microsoft Exchange dialog box. It will be closed now.
- Click the Cancel button on the Change E-mail Account dialog box. It will be closed.
- Click the Close button in the Account Settings dialog box. It will be closed too.
- Exit Microsoft Outlook.
- Start MS Outlook again. You will see a considerable improvement in the performance of MS Outlook.
This is the process to compact OST File.